Renting a property can be a complex process, and disputes between tenants and property managers can arise unexpectedly, which is why it’s important to know how to report a property management company. You must be aware of your rights and responsibilities as a tenant to navigate these situations effectively.

Read on as we walk you through the process of reporting a property management company and seeking resolution for any breaches or issues.

Understanding Your Rights and Responsibilities

Understanding Your Rights Dealing with a Property Management Company

The first step in addressing any rental dispute with a property management company is to be aware of your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) is the governing body in Queensland that provides comprehensive information and guidance on tenancy laws and regulations.

Familiarising yourself with the relevant legislation and your obligations under the tenancy agreement can help you identify any breaches or violations by the property management company.

Resolving Disputes

In case of a dispute, open communication with the property management company should be the initial approach. Addressing concerns promptly and respectfully can often resolve issues before they escalate.

If the property management company breaches the tenancy agreement, you have the right to issue them with a Notice to Remedy Breach.

The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) offers a Dispute Resolution Service that can assist in mediating disputes between tenants and property managers/owners. By calling 1300 366 311, you can access this service and seek guidance on filing a formal complaint and resolving the issue effectively.

Additionally, the Queensland Statewide Tenant Advice and Referral Service (QSTARS) provides valuable support and advice to tenants. You can reach them at 1300 744 263 for assistance in understanding your rights and navigating the dispute resolution process.

If the dispute remains unresolved after attempting mediation, you have the option to apply to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT). QCAT has the authority to issue orders or award compensation to rectify the situation.

Seeking Advice and Support

Navigating rental disputes can be complex, and it’s advisable to seek professional advice and support.

Both the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) and the Queensland Statewide Tenant Advice and Referral Service (QSTARS) offer free advice and guidance on tenancy-related matters.

These organisations can provide valuable information about your rights and obligations under the tenancy agreement, as well as assist you in understanding the appropriate steps to take in case of a dispute.

For more reading, check up on how much tax you need to pay on rental income in Australia.

Reporting a Property Manager/Owner Breach

If a property manager or owner breaches the tenancy agreement, it’s essential to follow the correct procedures to ensure your rights are protected.

Trying to Resolving a Dispute With a Property Management Company

Here are the steps to report a breach:

1. Attempt to resolve the issue through communication: Begin by addressing the issue directly with the property manager or owner. Open and respectful communication can often resolve misunderstandings or clarify expectations.

2. Issue a Notice to Remedy Breach: If the initial communication is unsuccessful, you can issue a Notice to Remedy Breach (Form 11 for general tenancies or Form R11 for rooming accommodation). This notice outlines the specific breach and provides a timeframe for the property manager/owner to rectify the situation.

The timeframe for remedying the breach may vary depending on the nature of the issue and the type of tenancy agreement. For general tenancies, the property manager/owner must be given at least 7 days to address the breach.

Common examples of breaches by property managers or owners include failure to maintain or repair the property as required, or illegal entry into the rental premises. Such examples require legal action.

3. Adhere to the specified timeframes: It’s crucial to follow the timeframes outlined in the Notice to Remedy Breach. If the breach is not rectified by the expiry date, you have several options:

  • a. Apply for dispute resolution: If you have a fixed or periodic agreement, you can apply for dispute resolution through the RTA or QSTARS.
  • b. Apply to QCAT: If the matter remains unresolved after dispute resolution, you may apply to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) to seek an order to rectify the problem or seek compensation.
  • c. Issue a Notice of Intention to Leave (Form 13): If the breach is significant, you may choose to end the tenancy by providing a Notice of Intention to Leave. However, it’s important to note that if you are breaking a fixed-term agreement, you may be required to pay compensation for ending the lease early.

If the property manager/owner remedies the breach by the expiry date of the notice, no further action is required. However, if you have already issued a Notice of Intention to Leave, you can either continue with the termination process or withdraw the notice in writing before the end date specified in the notice.

Repeated Breaches

It’s important to note that there are specific rules and procedures in place for handling repeated breaches by property managers or owners.

If you encounter multiple breaches over time, it’s advisable to seek guidance from the RTA or QSTARS to ensure you follow the correct protocols and protect your rights as a tenant.

Wrapping Up

Navigating rental disputes and reporting a property management company can be a complex process, but understanding your rights and responsibilities as a tenant is crucial.

By following the correct procedures, seeking advice from relevant authorities, and communicating effectively, you can increase your chances of resolving the issue in a fair and timely manner.

Remember, the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) and the Queensland Statewide Tenant Advice and Referral Service (QSTARS) are valuable resources available to assist you throughout the process.

If you are unsure about any aspect of the dispute resolution or reporting process, it’s always best to seek professional advice to ensure you are taking the appropriate steps to protect your interests.